Friday, August 30, 2013

Turns Out I'm A Total Chicken Shit

When people went on and on about the rain in Vancouver, they left out the part about the thunder and lightning storms.  As I was laying in bed last night watching hours of the live feed from Burning Man (you knew that was going to make it's way into this post), a massive storm came through.  I grew up in Southern California where it rains four days a year and maybe you'll get some thunder here and there.  Turns out I still hate thunder, I hate lightning even more and I totally believed the house was going to cave in from all of the rain.  The dogs came running over to my side of the bed for comfort and all I could do was hide under the covers.  Yes, I'll admit it, I was hiding under the covers like a big baby.  And my Husband?  Snoring away. Where he grew up they had massive storms just like this everyday in the summer as well as hurricanes.  Well, that's reason #404 I would never live there.  I always love the next day after a storm though.  I love the way the air smells.  Its damp and cold outside right now, just the way I like it.  I love summer, don't get me wrong and we had amazing weather this year, but fall is just around the corner and that is without a doubt my favorite time of year!  Fall in Vancouver! Time to throw on your boots, grab your camera and capture the beautiful colors of the season.

Speaking of weather, I watched a massive dust storm on the live feed that engulfed the playa yesterday and it made me miss home (my Black Rock City home that is).  I always loved a good dust storm out on the playa. When it hits and you're away from camp you take cover wherever you are and just wait it out-it's always an adventure.  Again, you knew I was going to try and find a way to talk about Burning Man!  Yes, the man burns tomorrow and I cannot wait to see all the photos and hear all of the stories from my dusty friends! I'll try to post tomorrow in honor of burn day, but for now I'll leave you with some dust storm pictures from my past years!  Following the pix, there's a link to the Ustream site that is showing the burn live for the next few days...

The hair really says it all.  Covered in dust since 2004!

My playa partner-in-crime for many years!

Tamiko riding through the storm.

My pops: AKA as the Big Cheese dancing in a storm.
This was one of the worst dust storms I had been in.  I love this shot because after hours of waiting it out we saw a double rainbow extended over the playa.


In case you want to see what it's all about, here is a link to watch the live stream: http://www.ustream.tv/burningman

~Mrs. G



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Leave them here!